The Thompson’s family practice dates back to 1920. James Carl Thompson founded the practice in his house in the Parkdale area of Toronto. He also taught optometry at Central Technical School in Toronto from 1920 to 1925. In that last year he was appointed as dean to the College of Optometry on St. George St. He continued to practice in his home and lead the College of Optometry in Toronto until his death in 1948.
Howard Thompson graduated in optometry in 1946. Shortly after he took over his father’s practice and moved it to a medical office at 226 Roncesvalles Ave. in Toronto. He also practiced part-time in Malton and in Dundalk. In December of 1963, Dr. Howard Thompson moved his office and his home to Bramalea, where he became Bramalea’s first optometrist. The office on Roncesvalles Ave. in Toronto was closed in 1968.
Dr. Rick Thompson joined him at that location at 4 Algonquin Blvd. in 1979 after graduating from the optometry program at the University of Waterloo. They were partners in practice until his father was forced to retire in July 1990 due to a debilitating stroke. In May 1991, the practice was moved to 25 Kings Cross Rd. at Regency Fitness Club in Bramalea.
June 2007, the practice was expanded and moved to its present location at William’s Parkway and Chrysler Dr.
Dr. Greg Thompson graduated from the optometry program at the University of Waterloo in June 2013 and is now practicing in the family practice. In February of 2017, the office expanded once again to its current size with additional vision therapy space.
Dr. Rick’s two older brothers both practice optometry, Dr. Jim Thompson in North Vancouver, B.C. and Dr. Dave Thompson in Nanaimo, B.C.